This article is all about the amps consumed by the portable ac. it will guide you on which portable air conditioner consumes low amps, what is considered for the amps consumed by Portable AC, and the amps consumed by the most energy-efficient portable air conditioner,
How Many Amps Does A Portable AC Use?
- A Portable AC uses amps that range from 3.1 amps to 12.8 amps.
- On average the amp used by a Portable AC is 10.44 amps.
- The most common average used by a Portable AC is 12 amps.
The following table is based on the research done on the 58 most popular Portable AC that describes the amps usage by Portable AC amps category:
|Portable AC amp category
Around 85.7% of portable air conditioners use 9 amps or more than 10.2% of Portable AC have a range between 6.1 amps and 8.9 amps and this range of Portable AC is considered the medium amp draw for Portable AC. The comparison of the amps drawn by the portable air conditioner with Window AC and wall will also help you.
Low Amp Portable Air Conditioner:
The Portable AC which is considered a low amp portable AC draws up to 3.1 amps to 6 amps. And according to the research, 4.1% of Portable AC fall in the range of low amp. The Portable AC which draws the lowest amps of 3.1 amps is the Costway EP24041. The portable AC draws a low amp but does experience a higher amp during the startup current surges there are many more factors that are important to be considered for the amperage of the Portable AC.
What is considered for amps in a Portable Air Conditioner?
- The arms drawn by a portable air conditioner Do depend upon manufacturers such as the setting which include the temperature, cooling stage, the cycle of on and off, and the input power supply.
- Portable air conditioners are designed in a way that they can run on a standard household circuit of 15 amps, 110 volts, AC.
- The portable air conditioner amps are to be considered more if they are running the units off of generators or batteries.
- In the startup stage, a portable air conditioner’s power is surged up to 2 to 3 times the running Amps draw.
- Using the portable air conditioner with the breaker cater will help to get the startup amp surges and also prevent any other risk of damage.
- Portable air conditioners have component for example condensers, evaporator, and compressors which are power hungry meaning it uses more power during the process of on and off operation which impacts the device to draw more amps.
- The portable air conditioner and draw can be reduced if we run the unit at a lower power setting, increase the temperature setting, and change the mode. For example, if we use the portable AC on Eco mode it helps to reduce the number of Amps drawn by the AC.
How Many Amps Do The Most Energy-Efficient Portable ACs Use?
The following table will explain the list of the most energy-efficient portable air conditioners and how many amps they use according to the room size:
|Most efficient portable air conditioner
|150 sq. ft.
|BLACK+DECKER 5,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (SACC), 8,500 BTU (ASHRAE); Model# BPT05WTBA
|250 sq. ft.
|KingHome 10,000 BTU (6,000 BTU DOE) Portable Air Conditioner; Model# KHPA06AK
|350 sq. ft.
|GE 8,000 BTU (DOE SACC) / 12,000 BTU (ASHRAE) Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier; Model# APCD08JALW
|400 sq. ft.
|Whynter Elite 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Heat/Drain Pump & Dehumidifier; Model# ARC-122DHP
|450 sq. ft.
|Honeywell 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier & Fan. Model# HJ0CESWK7
|500 sq. ft.
|NewAir 14,000 BTU (8,600 DOE) Portable Air Conditioner & Heater; Model# AC-14100H
|12.8A (11.4A when heating)
|550 sq. ft.
|DOLCECLIMA 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (4 in 1); Model# 2149
|600 sq. ft.
|FRIGIDAIRE GALLERY 13,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Wi-Fi Control; Model# GHPC132AB1
|700+ sq. ft.
|Honeywell 775 Sq. Ft. Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier & Fan. Model# HJ5CESWK0
So the most energy-efficient portable air conditioner which uses 9 amps while running is Whynter Elite ARC-122DHP. And there are no portable air conditioners in the list of the most energy-efficient portable conditioners which fall into the low amps range. Considering just the average usage we cannot decide the keep performance of the devices to see the energy efficiency but there are a lot of other factors. To check the cost to run portable air conditioners and are they quiet visit here.
A portable air conditioner can draw amps that range from 3.1 amps to 12.8 amps, the average usage is 10.44 amps, and the most common average by the Portable AC is 12 amps. The least amount of amps drawn by Costway EP24041 is 3.1 amps. And the portable air conditioner which is the most energy-efficient air conditioner which draws up to 9 amps is the Whynter Elite ARC-122DHP.
Which AC mode consumes less electricity?
When the AC is at cutoff mode it consumes less electricity and reduces the electricity bill.
Does running AC at a low speed save electricity?
Running the AC temperature low will consume more electricity and if the AC temperature is set at high it consumes less electricity.
Which part of the AC consumes more electricity?
When the AC is run at a low temperature the AC compressor consumes more power.
- How Many Solar Panels Do I Need For 1000 kWh? (Per Month & Day Explained) - March 29, 2023
- Mastering Your Home’s Electrical Consumption: A Guide to Wattage, Amperage, and Budget Management - March 28, 2023
- Trending Designer GFCI Cover Plates To Buy - March 27, 2023