The battery in a vehicle plays a very important role and if the battery is not working properly or it dies then you are going to face many problems. so to avoid such conditions you must know about the amp hour capacity of the vehicle. This article will guide you about how many amps are there in a motorcycle battery.
How many amps are there in a motorcycle battery?
The capacity of the battery of a motorcycle depends on the brand, model, size, and motorcycle. But On average a motorcycle has an amperage from 5 to 20 amps.
Basically, amp hours are used to measure the time that a battery is able to use a certain amount of current before it is in needs to recharge the battery again. let’s understand it by an example, suppose a battery of a motorcycle has an amp rating of 20 which means that it is able to provide one amp of current for 20 hours or the battery is able to provide a current of 2 amps for 10 hours before the battery is recharged again.
Importance of amp hour:
It is important to know about the battery amp hours because of the following points:
- Knowing a battery amp hours would help you to determine how long the battery can last for.
- It is good to know about the amp hour rating because a person will use the electrical accessories according to the amp hour rating and if they want to use a lot of electrical accessories they need to use a battery that has a high amp hour rating.
Is having more amp hours better?
Having more amp hours of the battery of the motorcycle means the motorcycle has more power to store and will last for a longer time. For the person who is not using extra electrical accessories or any heating system then a regular amp hour of the battery is good for them but you should have extra reverse so having a battery with more amps hours will be better but one thing to get to know is that the battery with more amps hours has more weight than a battery with less amp hour rating and the cost of the battery will be more when compared to the fewer amp hours battery of the motorcycle.
The next is explained about what amp to charge a motorcycle.
What amp is needed to charge a motorcycle battery?
If you’re charging a motorcycle battery then you should be careful not to exceed the battery charger above 3 amps because there will be a lot of battery chargers that are not good to use because of the higher current output. The maintenance of the battery at full state of charge does have optimum life but overcharging a battery will reduce its life of the battery.
What should be the charging voltage?
The following table explains the charging voltage of the battery of the motorcycle according to the state of the charging battery:
|State of charging of the battery||Per lead-acid battery cell (2.1v nominal)||12v nominal batteries (6x cell)|
|Minimum for charging||2.15v||12.90v|
|Trickle charging||2.25 – 2.27v||13.50 – 13.62v|
|Normal charging||2.30 – 2.35v||13.80 – 14.10v|
|Fast charging (risk of gassing)||2.40 – 2.45v||14.40 – 14.70v|
The following are the charging guide while charging the motorcycle battery
- To charge the battery you need to follow all the manufacturer’s instructions while connecting the battery to the charger.
- If you do not follow the given instruction you cause damage to the battery and to the charge.
- You need to check that if in any case, the battery gets hot you need to turn off the charger and let the battery cool down.
- If the battery is heated excessively it shows that there is something wrong and there may be a case of an explosion in the battery.
- In any situation, if the battery is smoking or sparking again turns off the charger.
How long does an average motorcycle battery last for?
On average a motorcycle battery can be used for 3 to 4 years. But if you really want to maximize the service life of the battery then you need to maintain the battery properly. Using a battery maintainer will also benefit from maximizing the service life of the battery as it is fully automatic and easy to use. If you really want to maximize the service life of the battery then you should not run the light of the bike for a long time if the bike is off as it will drain the battery and will shorten its lifespan of the battery.
Hence the amperage of a motorcycle battery is from 5 to 20 amp hours. If you want to maximize the lifespan of the battery of a motorcycle you need to charge the battery at a proper voltage and amps such as the charging voltage should be under 14.7 volts while charging the battery.
What should it be the maximum amps to charge a 12-volt battery?
The charging current should be less than 11.25 amps which means the amps should be 25% of the battery capacity.
Is it good to charge a battery at 2 amps or 10 amps?
Charging a car battery with 10 amperes is a good option and you should charge the small batteries with 2 amperes.
- Red Light on GFCI Outlet: Fixed with Step-by-Step Guide Explained - March 23, 2023
- Step-by-Step Guide To Install A Ceiling Light Fixture: New and Old Replacement - March 20, 2023
- Best GFCI Alarm To Buy (User Buying Guide) - March 17, 2023