The knob and tube wiring were used before but now with the increase of the power demand of the appliances you need to upgrade the system because of the knob and tube wiring also known as K&T can be harmful and cause fire hazards. This article is all about how to replace the knob and tube wiring step by step.
Planning of replacing knob and tube wiring:
Before replacing the knob and tube wiring you need to plan how you have to start it. It is important to follow all the safety precautions before you are going to replace the ab and tube wiring. Before starting the replacement work you need to first get concerned with an Electrician and the local building department so that you will know what are the rules and regulations for replacing the knob and tube wiring and if you are following all of them or not.
The following are some points you need to consider for replacing the knob and tube wiring:
- To replace the knob and tube wiring you need to first make sure that you are using the correct size and type of wire and that it is able to handle the amount of current according to the location such as outdoor, indoor, in a wet location, dry, etc.
- For replacing the knob and tube wire make sure to use the wire connector means to check the right side of the wire nuts should be connected to the right wire and make use to tighten and wrap the wire by using tape to make sure that you are safely connecting the wire and wire nuts.
- You should plan to have proper tools in equipment for replacing the knob and the tube wire such as wire strippers while connecting the voltage tester and the person should properly use Gloves and safety glasses.
- Now after replacing the wire the last step is to test the work and to make sure that it is safe and works properly. you can test by using a voltage tester.
Preparation for replacing knob and tube wiring:
The following are some preparation that needs to be done for replacing the knob and the tube wiring:
- Permit and inspection.
- Shut off the power.
- Check the wire.
Permit and inspection:
A person should always obtain the proper permit instruction before starting any electrical work so that it will ensure that the work is done safely and following all the rules and regulations which will help you to protect your home.
Shut off the power:
The first process for replacing the knob and the tube wires is to shut off the power of the area where you are going to work which can be easily done by switching off the circuit breaker that supplies the power to that area. Always keep in mind and make sure to turn off the power before starting electrical work to avoid any damage or risk to yourself.
Recheck the wire:
After turning off the power of the area that you are going to work on, the second step is to make sure that no wire is live, which can be done with the help of a voltage tester, etc.
Steps to replace the knob and tube wiring:
The following are some steps by which you can easily learn how to replace the knob and tube wiring:
- Do not try to do the replacement of the knob and tube wiring by yourself because it will be difficult to find the replacement part because of the old system.
- The first step is to call the local electrician to do the inspection of the home electricity.
- The local electrician will give you an estimate of the budget and the replacement of the knob and tube wire is not very cheap. It can be from $5000 to $15000 as it includes the rewiring of the entire home. The cost of replacing the wire is not the same depending upon the size and the number of floors of your house.
- For this process, you have to stay in your home without any electricity for a few days so you should schedule all your time to get the work to be done as soon as possible. After replacing the wire you can easily run as many appliances as you want to at the same time without having any problem with burning out the fuse.
Estimating the cost of replacing the knob and tube wiring:
To estimate the budget to spend on replacing the knob and tube wiring you need to find out the cost price of the following items in your location:
- Check the cost of the commonly used NM cable which are 14-2, 14-3, and 12-2.
- The cost to spend on hiring labor for replacing the wire is only for those who are not replacing the wire by themselves.
- Check the cost price of the outlets and the fixtures which depends upon the number of outlets you are going to use for replacing the knob and tube wiring.
- Check the cost of the wire nuts and the wire staples which can be different according to the number of using them.
- Check the cost price of the wall which is used for the outlets.
- Check the cost price of the main electrical panel.
- Estimating because for replacing the tube and knob wiring check the cost spent on the permits and inspection.
- Check the cost which you are going to spend on replacing the wall and ceiling.
For upgrading the knob and tube wiring you should have proper planning of what to use, how to do it by hiring the electrician or by yourself, what is the budget, etc. after all of this you should go for upgradation and the steps for the replacing the knob and tube wire as explained above.
- Step-by-Step Guide To Install A Ceiling Light Fixture: New and Old Replacement - March 20, 2023
- Best GFCI Alarm To Buy (User Buying Guide) - March 17, 2023
- Can You Install a DC Fast Charger For EV at Home? (Proper Explanation) - March 16, 2023