For maintaining the temperature we should also look Into the noise pollution we create by using appliances that maintain a cooler temperature. This article is based on studying the 60 most efficient portable air conditioners and it will guide you about the portable air conditioners quiet and decibel levels, which are the loud medium, and quiet portable ac, and tips for reducing the working noise.
Are portable air conditioners quiet?
- No, the portable air conditioner is not quite as it ranges from 44 dB to 64 dB.
- The average noise level produced by portable ac is 54.6 dB.
- The most common decibel produced is 56 dB.
The following table explains clearly about the noise level of portable air conditioners:
|Portable air conditioner sound level category||The noise level in decibels|
|Most common||56 dB|
We can say that portable air conditioners do make noise but they can also be as low as a whisper during the daytime but at night they will sound loud.
According to the hearing health foundation, each 10-point increase in decibels is equal to a tenfold increase in the energy of sound in intensity which is further noted as twice as loud by humans. There is a very big difference between the quietest and the loudest unit. Also, we can say that the noisiest portable air conditioner is equal to 4 times as loud as the quietest unit.
The levels of portable air conditioners:
The following are some decibel levels of portable air conditioners:
- Loud portable air conditioner
- Medium portable air conditioner
- Quiet portable air conditioner
Loud portable air conditioner:
- The range of the loud air conditioner is from 58 dB to 64 dB and more.
- There 12.96% of the portable ac which was falling in the category of loud portable air conditioners.
- For example, DOLCECLIMA 14,000 BTU 4 in 1 AC unit is a loud portable air conditioner having a decibel rating of 64 dB which is designed for larger rooms upto 550 sq. Ft. Also do have an energy efficiency ratio of 9.9
Medium sound level portable air conditioner:
- The range of medium sound level of a portable air conditioner is from 52 dB to 57 dB.
- The average noise produced by the portable ac is 54.6 dB.
- The most common decibel level is 56 dB.
- There were 77.77% of the units which were falling in this category of noise levels.
- The medium sound level of a portable air conditioner is designed for cooling the area from 150 to 700 sq. Ft.
Quiet portable air conditioner noise level:
- The range of the quiet portable air conditioner is from 44 dB to 51 dB.
- About 9.26% of air conditioner falls in this category of noise level.
- For example, BLACK+DECKER BTP05 WTBA is the most efficient quiet portable air conditioner with a sound rating of 51 dB and an energy efficiency ratio of 9.55.
Which is the quietest portable air conditioner?
- The quietest portable air conditioner is the LG LD 1419 VSM with the LoDecibel Quiet Operation having a sound level ranging from 44 dB.
- It does have many attractive designs, features, and positive reviews.
- The British thermal unit cooling capacity of this portable ac is 14000.
List of the most energy-efficient portable air conditioner:
The following table explains the list of most efficient portable ac by room size and decibel rating.
|Room size||Most efficient portable air conditioner||Noise level (decibels)|
|150 sq. ft.||BLACK+DECKER 5,000 BTU (SACC) Portable Air Conditioner, 8,500 BTU (ASHRAE); Model# BPT05WTBA||51 dB|
|250 sq. ft.||KingHome 10,000 BTU (6,000 BTU DOE) Portable Air Conditioner; Model# KHPA06AK||53 dB|
|350 sq. ft.||GE 8,000 BTU (DOE SACC) / 12,000 BTU (ASHRAE) Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier; Model# APCD08JALW||Not available|
|400 sq. ft.||Whynter Elite 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Heat/Drain Pump & Dehumidifier; Model# ARC-122DHP||52 dB|
|450 sq. ft.||Honeywell 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier & Fan. Model# HJ0CESWK7||49 dB|
|500 sq. ft.||NewAir 14,000 BTU (8,600 DOE) Portable Air Conditioner & Heater; Model# AC-14100H||57 dB|
|550 sq. ft.||DOLCECLIMA 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (4 in 1); Model# 2149||64 dB|
|600 sq. ft.||FRIGIDAIRE GALLERY 13,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Wi-Fi Control; Model# GHPC132AB1||46 dB|
|700+ sq. ft.||Honeywell 775 Sq. Ft. Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier & Fan. Model# HJ5CESWK0||52 dB|
What are the tips to reduce the working noise of portable air conditioners?
The following are some tips for reducing the working noise of portable air conditioners:
- Secure the casting
- Wrap it up
- Place it on an even surface
- Place it on a soft surface
- Absorb the noise
- Use a fan
- Keep it away from heat sources
- Insert a Window
- Proper maintenance
- Unnecessary usage.
- Upgrading the unit
Secure the casting:
Make sure to check the casing of the portable ac as if the casing gets loose and rattles it will make more noise and need to be tightened and will also avoid the extra cost that is spent on repairing the ac.
Wrap it up:
You should cover the unit with a towel or a blanket but avoid having any issues with its operation and airflow.
Place it on an even surface:
For avoiding extra noise when the ac is running place the ac on an even surface.
Place it on a soft surface:
Placing the portable air conditioner on a soft surface will also help to avoid noise while working.
Absorb the noise:
Use the noise-absorbing panel which will absorb the noise while the portable air conditioner is running.
Use a fan:
Place the unit far from you so that you will not be audible to the noise made by it and use a fan to move the cooler air inside the room.
The noise level range of a portable air conditioner is from 44 dB to 64 dB. There are also some air conditioners that have noise levels as low as a whisper as high as normal conversation. The LG LD 1419 VSM is the quietest unit having a noise range of 44 dB.
- How Many Solar Panels Do I Need For 1000 kWh? (Per Month & Day Explained) - March 29, 2023
- Mastering Your Home’s Electrical Consumption: A Guide to Wattage, Amperage, and Budget Management - March 28, 2023
- Trending Designer GFCI Cover Plates To Buy - March 27, 2023